Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What's Cooking?

Now that we are back into a routine, the kids are each cooking one time a month, Jessica more. The thing is, there are less children now. Jeff is at Fort Bliss, TX. Adam is at basic training at Parris Island. And Tyler is at Job Corp in KY. So it's just Jessica and the three youngest. I no longer have to double most things, but it's hard to judge how much we need now? Anyone going through this? Adding or losing children and having to rethink meals?


Jessica cooked beef stir fry which I often request her to make. But in case someone is new to my blog, I'll include the recipe below even though I've posted it several times in the past.

I just love this. I could happily eat it once a week, but I don't think I could talk her in to doing it that often. I know I could learn to make it, but we've come to think of it as Jessica's specialty.

Beef Stir Fry
2 tbs cornstarch                         2 med carrots thinly sliced
2 tsp sugar                                6 oz package frozen pea pods thawed
6 Tbs soy sauce                        2 Tbs chopped onion
¼ c apple juice                         2 Tbs vegetable oil divided
1 lb boneless beef round steak 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts 
      cut into strips                       undrained
hot cooked rice                         3 c broccoli florets


In a bowl, combine corn starch, sugar, soy sauce and apple juice until smooth. Add beef and toss to coat; set aside. In a large skillet, stir-fry broccoli, carrots, pea pods and onion in 1 Tbs oil for one minute. Stir in water chestnuts. Cover and simmer four minutes. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil until meat reaches desired doneness. Return vegetables to pan. Toss. Serve over rice. 

Tyler didn't cook before he left, but I made him hobos, which he really likes.

You can put whatever kind of vegetables on it that you want. This is not Tyler's because his wouldn't have onion on it! I'd guess it's Jasmine's by the vegetable choices.

The original recipe called for just hamburger, but I turned it into more of a mini meatloaf.
Do yourself a favor and spray your aluminum foil.

Hobo Dinner
1 ½ -2 lb lean ground beef              ½-1 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
1 egg beaten                                   ½-3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
2 yellow squash sliced                    2 -3 lg. potatoes peeled and
                                                        thinly sliced
4 carrots sliced                              2 lg. onion thinly sliced                           
Salt and pepper to taste (whatever else your family likes)

Mix ground beef, ketchup, egg and oatmeal. Form into six patties. Place each on a square of aluminum foil. Place vegetables on top of each patty. Add salt and pepper. Wrap foil tightly around each patty. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min.
Jasmine made a recipe off a pasta box. She loves most things pasta.


Bacon Ranch Chicken Skillet
1 pkg Mueller's Ziti (16 oz)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 slices bacon
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
3 c chicken broth
1 ½ c milk
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 pkg original buttermilk ranch dressing (.4 oz)

Fry bacon until crisp. Cool and crumble.
 Cook the chicken in the oil (or use the bacon grease) in a large skillet, stirring frequently until the chicken is browned.  Add the chicken broth and bring to simmer. Reduce heat and add the ziti. Cooked covered for ten minutes or until done stirring frequently.

Whisk together milk, flour and ranch dressing mix in a medium bowl. Add to pasta and cook, stirring frequently until slightly thickened. Gently stir in bacon an serve.Optional: add diced tomatoes when you add the bacon.


Kaleb made "Adam's Enchiladas." 



Adam's Enchiladas 
1 lb boneless chicken breasts cubed
10 ¾ oz can cream of chicken soup
1 c thick and chunky salsa
8 flour tortillas (6")
10 ¾ oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup

Cook chicken in skillet until browned. Add chicken soup (no water added) and 1/2c salsa. Heat through. Spoon about 1/3c chicken mixture down one side of each tortillas. Roll up and place seam-side down in 2 qt microwave-safe baking dish. Mix cheese soup (no water added) and remaining salsa. Pour over tortillas. Microwave on high 5 minutes or until hot. Serves 4.


Kayla made shells. We buy the frozen kind and just add sauce, then bake. She made crescent rolls to go with them.

8 comments:

One Crowded House said...

I'm not at the place of kids leaving the nest yet- but I now it is totally going to mess up my cooking (amounts)!

Kathy Cassel said...

I am so used to doubling everything. Some recipes say four servings so that's not quite enough but eight is too much. I usually go with 8 but the boys were the ones who would eat the leftovers later so they often sit in the fridge. If something says for 6, I always hope it is. And then there are no left overs, which feels weird. Guess I'll get used to it.

Anonymous said...

I love that you teach your kids to cook while they are young. All my kids learned while they were young too. They had lots of friends that still didn't know how to work the oven and by 13. You know what. I was one of those too. My mother never showed us how to really cook or use oven. I learned it all when I moved from home. I didn't want it to be that way for my kids.

You go girl your an amazing mom

Kathy Cassel said...

Thanks anon. Thankfully they like to cook. The older ones can do laundry by themselves, but that's not something the littles ones do yet. All of them can vacuum and clean the bathroom. I do NOT do their bathroom :)

Renee said...

They are all so awesome! I love this! Our older ones do a lot of cooking. I should get the younger ones to do a meal. They would love that.

I know with our older ones working and school schedules and social life it always throws me on how much to make. i can't imagine how lost I'll be when they leave the nest.

agapesmansion said...

We added 6 children in the last year. There are many meals that I still have to fix myself something else because I have under estimated how much everybody is eating.

This meal looks amazing and one will will have to try!

Rose Anne said...

I need to work with Saul more in the kitchen now, it is kind of scary cause we have a gas stove...He would turn into a piece of pasta given half a chance...

Kathy Cassel said...

Renee--I bet the little ones would love that.

Allison--WOW! Bet you had to make some big changes in meals!

Rose Anne-we had gas growing up. I didn't cook much. Just hotdogs and stuff. No one was home to work with me. I'm glad Saul is getting back to where he can do everyday things again.