Thursday, February 12, 2009

Purpose Driven Life

I haven't said much about Purpose Driven Life lately. We are still doing it. We started September 7. I just grabbed that book to do "church on the beach" but then decided to do it each week. We have missed a few weeks along the way but not many. Each week we read the chapter aloud and then talk about it. We combine it with time at the beach or park or at home with a special snack so that it is something the kids look forward to (if only for the food!)

Each chapter has a point to ponder at the end. I call them purpose statements. I encouraged the kids to remember them but no one is forced to memorize them. They are not the Bible or even divinely inspired. You can, however, earn candy for saying them. We finished chapter 18 last week so there are 18 purpose points so far. They are:
1. It's not about me.
2. I am not an accident.
3. Living on purpose is the path to peace.
4. There is more to life than just here and now.
5. Life is a test and a trust.
6. This world is not my home.
7. It's all for him.
8. I was planned for God's pleasure.
9. God smiles when I trust him.
10. The heart of worship is surrender.
11. God wants to be my best friend.
12. I'm as close to God as I choose to be.
13. God wants all of me.
14. God is real, no matter how I feel.
15. I was formed for God's family.
16. Life is all about love.
17. I am called to belong, not just believe.
18. I need others in my life.


Here are some random shots of some of our weekly PDL times. I don't take pictures every week. Ice cream sundae pictures and cooking out pictures tend to look alike after a while!





























































No comments: