Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Week

With the exception of Jessica, the kids had the whole week off of school. Jessica had scuba class Monday and a twilight dive. She was supposed to have a night dive, but the waves were too high, and they were worried about something getting hit by the tossing boat.
We took advantage of the sales at Shoe Carnival to get Jasmine ready for basketball. I told her if she didn't do dance this year, she could get "real" basketball shoes.

We spent time playing games.




The kids had a challenge every day. One day they did states and capitals. Worksheet HERE.  I did it with them. We gave one point for each state, one point per capital and 1 point for D.C. There were prizes for the high scores and littler prizes for getting even one.

One day we did Presidents HERE. Give it a try. You just have to put in the names, it fills them in the right place. Our highest was 98%

Today we did countries of the world. That one is tough. Try it HERE. Our highest was 56%. We'd lose track of what we'd already labelled. And many of the countries have changed names since I was in school. For instance, we now longer have USSR. We have all the "-stans" instead. If you try this, post how you did! My guess is that Hevel would have the highest score of my readers.

We made and ate more cookies than we needed to.

The kids made gingerbread houses. We started this tradition a few years  ago to replace the tradition of giving them each a Christmas book on Thanksgiving.







The dogs got the neck, gizzards, giblets and anything else no one eats.



The cats got special cans of food instead of dry.

The guys are in charge of the Thanksgiving meal.


Forgot all about getting Thanksgiving paper plates. And who wants to wash extra dishes on a holiday so plain white paper plates did the job.






We had to eat early today because Jessica worked at noon. Tonight she and Tyler are going out in the madness for a few special gifts. Other than that, we are avoiding the crowds.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving and plenty of people to share it with. Our hearts go out to those who don't have enough to eat or family to be with. Our prayers are  with the Livesays and Heartline Ministries in Haiti and all those at Real Hope for Haiti today. These are two places we sponsor in addition to our local church, Compassion and World Vision.

8 comments:

One Crowded House said...

thanks for the links to the worksheets... looks like good practice!

Kath said...

I got 65% on countries, and 56% on Presidents. Countries was harder because I too kept losing track, but Presidents was tough because we don't learn all that much about them over here!

kayder1996 said...

I got 51% of the countries but I should get about 20 points more because I did it with 3 kids 6 and under playing next to me. LOL! I like those type of trivia/brain teaser type puzzles so thanks for sharing.

Kathy Cassel said...

I can begin to spell about 40% of them!

Tavora said...

I got 53% on the countries. What a brain teaser, and an excellent way to practice your spelling of countries! Thanks for the link, I love puzzles and things. I just started trying to do a sudoku every day. Have you ever played those?

-Danielle from Canada

Kathy Cassel said...

I am hopeless at Sudoku, but my son Tyler did them a lot for a while.

Jessica has one class that is about reasoning and they have a hard riddle/puzzle to work out each week. I'll see if she'll let me post one.

Hevel said...

Spelling the countries is a challenge when I have learnt Geography in three different languages growing up. I got 74% at first try, but ran out of time before i could add Qatar and Uzbekistan. And Andorra. What a fun quiz. :D

Kathy Cassel said...

I knew you were going to do the best : ) I took it four times just to get over 50%. I think if we took it as a family group, we might get 70% because different ones of us are stronger in different areas. I learned all the -stans as the USSR.