Friday, July 29, 2016

Help Us With a Color Scheme

I was going to touch up Kayla's walls. I used the wrong color. We have like 3 or 4 old cans of blue, and I used the one from when that was Adam's room. I decided I liked that color better. But no clue what it was. So I went to Walmart and just picked something I like. Of course this was the night before Kayla was coming home from five weeks of mission camp. So it wasn't done when she got home. There are some packed full cabinets in there that are going to have to be emptied and moved. Well, she wanted to help.





I was having her carefully go around trim. Then she decided she was going to use the roller. Yes, we taped the the white trim. But that didn't seem to matter.
Because she painted right over it and onto the ceiling!

I suggested we make the white trim a different color to cover the blue. And maybe give the room a more interesting look.

I asked for suggestions on facebook about what color to do the trim. I got everything from leave it white to paint it the same color as the room. Also got suggestions of aqua, mint, yellow, navy. I also told Felicia she should come and splatter paint it for me.

But the thing is, the room has been both a boy's room and a girl's room. Single occupant and double occupancy depending on what combination of kids is in the house. Right now Ty and Kaleb are rooming together while Kayla and Jasmine each have their own rooms. Prior to that both girls were in there. Before that Kaleb. Before that Adam. And so on. So this could become a boy's room in the future so I don't want to use lavendar or pink or anything girly. We just got rid of the bunk bed and put a single bed in, although there is a bunk that can be attached.

I looked online but only found this color combination:

We have a tile floor in the room and I don't see myself buying red carpet. But the red and blue could work for both girl or boy.

But I don't know. I could paint the walls and bottom trim the same color and do the top in red or another color.

What are your thoughts? What color trim would go well in Kayla's room?
Bottom trim blends in with the wall and top a different color?
Bedspread color? (Right now she has a choice of lavender or navy because that's what we have.
Give me your decorating tips please!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she just painted over the top trim then I would paint that red for a little pop of color and leave the other trim white. The red and blue would work for both girl or boy. I would go with the navy bedspread. Since it's back to school time, maybe when they have the college back-to-school stuff on clearance you could find a red throw rug for the room to help tie in the red trim. Have fun with it!

Kathy Cassel said...

Good ideas. I actually have a blue comforter that was never used. Just have to find it.

Anonymous said...

Or like you said Felica could come over, but then she could paint a cool tropical island mural or under ocean scene both work for boy or girl and then you all get to hang out again :)



Erika

Kathy Cassel said...

Good idea!

She liked the red, white and blue picture, so we are doing something similar.