Monday, October 13, 2014

The Way You Say It

I think we all agree that there are differences in how we say things in different parts of the country and in different English speaking countries. Having lived in both the north and the south, England (and Okinawa which of course is Japanese), I've seen this.

I grew up with "pop" being something you drink, but now "pop's" your father. In the north kids throw a fit, in the south they pitch a fit. 

 In America a "biscuit" is a bread item but in England a "biscuit" is our cookie. To us "pudding" is what you get when you mix the powder in the box with milk, but in England "pudding" means dessert. 

But this week a friend was reading a story I'd written, and in it the girl "makes dishwater." To me this means she ran water, added soap, let it foam up and then turned off the water. That hit my friend as a really funny thing to say. Which made me wonder, what do you say to your kids if you want them to "make dishwater"?

The absolute most crazy thing I've heard in the south is people saying "carried" in place of "drove" as in, "For years I carried my children to church." The first time I heard it was someone saying she'd carried her children to vote. Well, her children had to be at least 18 to vote, so I knew she had to mean drive, but still....

What's the strangest expression you've heard? And what do you tell your kids to get this?

4 comments:

megan said...

I know when I would go to South Carolina or talk to my dad when he was down there he would tell me he had to "cut" the heat on or "cut" the lights. And I know they call shopping carts buggy's. I heard the "carry" term too. I've never used the term make dishwater I guess I would just say go do the dished. LOL

kayder1996 said...

I think my family uses a lot of colorful language. Both my brother and I have had people comment on the euphemisms we use. I think we just grew up with grandparents and great grandparents really close so we used a lot of the old fashioned sayings that they said. I can't think of any off the top of my head that seem really unusual but I know we both say them. My brother is a professional rodeo announcer so I think his colorful vocabulary helps him.

Rose Anne said...

I remember Mom yelling were ya born in a barn!
go get a switch! and many more!
It is scary when things start come out of your mouth that sound so much like your Mom!

Anonymous said...

Pop is what you drink. I never called my father Pop. always dad.

I would say go start the dishwater but still that would be about the same as make dish water. I agree with Megan and just say go get the dishes washed.

Lou