Friday, April 27, 2018

Newest Sponsored Child

Tonight Jasmine and I were Compassion Volunteers at an Anita Renfroe event at a nearby church. Our job was to give out information about children waiting for sponsors.



Jasmine and I both sponsor children through Compassion International. Actually, I have two through Compassion and one through World Vision. So I didn't really plan to sign up to sponsor a 4th child. But I realized they have older children now. Instead of a sponsorship ending when a child turns 18, it ends when they complete school.

I kept looking at the photos of three different young men. I can't say I felt any great conviction to sponsor one, but decided it would be cool to give an older child a chance. So I chose one of the boy's cards and filled it out to be his sponsor.

Afterward I realized it was the first time I hadn't chosen by birth date. My World Vision child has the same birthday as a child we wanted to adopt from Haiti but were unable to. Then after the twins came home, I started sponsoring two children whose birthdates are within ten days of theirs. In years past I sponsored children the ages our children were at the time.

I knew all three of the young men photos I had been looking at were born in 1999, but I never looked at the date. So I pulled my newly sponsored child's picture back out of my bag and looked at the birthday. TODAY is his 19th birthday!! How cool is that? It's too bad he won't know for several weeks that he has a sponsor. I wish he could know today and perhaps consider it a special birthday gift.


Shellie Tomlinson, Jasmine and I with my photo of Reynaldi Waworuntu in East Indonesia.



No comments: