Thursday, May 22, 2014

New York 5

I don't think I said last post, but Aladdin was amazing. The Genie stole the show. So talented and funny. The music was great and so were the costumes. It is a show not to be missed. Hard to describe the combination of talent, colorful costumes, sets and the music. If you get a chance, go see it. I hope the take it on the road in a few years.

After the show we bought souvenirs on the street and went to Applebees. Jessica wanted to be able to say she went to an Applebees in NY. (She works in one here). Unfortunately, it was much more expensive, and the service wasn't all that great.

Watching Jessica's picture of NYC being made after Applebees.

All done with spray paint, can lid and putty knife.

Souvenirs for the youngest three.

In the Subway.

It was interesting to talk to the musicians. Yeah, we did talk to them. They are people too. Plus Jessica plays sax and I did in another life. We also always dropped money in the cases if we took their picture.

Wednesday morning we planned to go to the Statue of Liberty again. Remember we'd changed plans Tuesday and ended up not going. We stopped at McDonalds for fries. They have Smart Phone chargers built into the table. I don't normally carry a phone. I only have a tracfone I buy minutes for.

This time we made it!

Me reading a book to Jessica. We read chapters at a few different places--here, Central Park, on the subway etc.

Later in the day we went to Rockefeller plaza. We went to Top of the Rock, but there was zero visibility. We exchanged our tickets for ones for tomorrow night instead.

We went to the M & M store and the Hershey store. We went to Nintendo World, but unlike the other stores in the area, it was already closed.

On Thursday we went to Madam Tussauds. We've been to the one in London, Rick and I twice, Tyler and Jessica once. 

Generic wax figure.

We wanted to go to John's Pizza but needed directions.

It's in what used to be a church.

After that we decided to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The subway was having a lot of problems, and we ended up walking. We got there about 3:30 and finally got our headsets for the guided tour at 4:00. What we hadn't realized was that the museum closed at 5:30. We only got to do the first part of the tour! We needed at least five hours there. If we'd known it closed that early, we would have planned to do it all day Friday because we'd left Friday open.  That was really disappointing.

We went back to Top of the Rock and it was zero visibility again. They offered us tickets for Friday, but then admitted that Friday was going to be zero visibility again. We were flying out Saturday, so we asked them for our City Pass ticket back because there was another half to it for another museum. They said they couldn't do that, and they couldn't refund our money. So we were just out the $25 each. We argued for quite a while. Then we finally changed the tickets for Saturday and went down to the ticket line and gave them to a guy who hadn't yet bought tickets. I hope he was able to use them so they at least weren't wasted.

On Friday we went to see Trinity Church from the movie National Treasure.
Trinity Church

We went to a candy store that had a lot of candy we'd bought in England years back and a lot of candy that I haven't seen since I was a kid, we had a snack at Chinatown, and then went back to the hotel to organize for our flight home the next day. Then we went to Grand Central Station.
Grand Central Station

We ate at the hot dog place.

Then we jumped on the subway and went to buy last minute souvenirs.

We got up early Saturday and caught the subway to New York Penn. We took a train to Newark Penn. We caught the bus to Newark airport. All to find out that we'd been bumped from the flight because of a connection problem. The computer dumped us off the flight instead of changing our connecting flight to a later one. So after over an hour of trying to work things out, we were sent by taxi to Laguardia. Instead of arriving home at noon, we got in at 8:00 p.m. But we had good flights and it all worked out okay.

The runway was a bridge.

So that was our trip. We've known for four years this trip was coming and now it's over. That's a strange feeling.
We are back into routine. Jasmine has dance recital tomorrow, and Kayla has a big field trip to some caverns. Kaleb still has field day ahead. We are done June 7. Lots to do between now and then, but it's winding down. What's left for you this school year? 


Annalyn Reed said...

I'm so jealous, you guys are living my dream! I have always wanted to go to NY. Looks like you guys had a blast! :)

Kathy C. said...

Annalyn--There was so much more we wanted to do. I think I'm going to need to go back with the younger kids in a few years :)

One Crowded House said...

You guys really got to see a lot. What memories you guys made!

Kathy C. said...

It was so easy to get from place to place Tanya. I think we could plan better now that we've been there once. Especially if we'd known the museum closed at 5:30!