Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Top Ten: Favorite Games

Sometimes in circle time we pick a top ten topic and write a list in our yearly notebook. Our first top ten list this year goes along with the question I asked a couple of posts back. Board Games. It's really hard to pick. Sometimes how fun a game is depends on who you are playing it with it. And there are some I played growing up that I don't play anymore for no real reason.

I won't share everyone's Top Ten List, but I'll put the top two favorites.

Kayla: Rummikub, Freestyle Apples to Apples

Kaleb: King of Tokyo, Tsuro (Ty just got this one for Christmas, and we played it for the first time this week. )






Jasmine: Escape the Curse of the Jungle, Tsuro


Escape is a co op game where you have to work together to escape and survive.


Tyler: King of Tokyo, too many tied for second place

Ty is the one who finds most of the new games. He watches videos about games and learns about new ones he wants to try. Lately He discovered King of  Tokyo, Get Bit, Roll for It and Tsuro this way.

Me: 

I have a hard time choosing two favorites. On one hand, I love children's games and can't wait until River and Winter are old enough to play games. Candy Land and Shoots and ladder will be the first ones.

But the games I choose most often now are:

  • Rummikub
  • Roll for It (another of Ty's Christmas presents)
  • Yahtzee
  • Dominoes
  • Battleship (I played it tonight literally for the first time in about twenty years)
  • Boggle
  • Catch Phrase
  • Tsuro
  • Apples to Apples(If I'm in the mood and we have the right group)
  • Sorry
  • Princess UNO

I haven't played Scattegories since I got married, so that's almost 30 years. It requires a lot of people to make it fun.

Ricks' favorites are Rummikub and Yahtzz


Your turn! What are your top two, or top ten, board games? And does your list change by who you are with?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than chess, I haven't played board games very much since I left Indiana. The first couple of years that I was in Nevada I played Connect 4, checkers, and chess. (At least that's all that I can remember at the moment.) I haven't played anything other than chess for around 20 years. And I haven't even played chess in over 15 years.

megan said...

Pictionary and Mexican Train. We like Scattegories too when we have big group. We played a lot of SkipBo with John's mom and Grandma while the kids were growing up and Rummikub too.

Anonymous said...

Our family enjoys Uno, Trivial Pursuit & CLUE the most. Sometimes Monopoly and Sorry but it depends on everyone's mood. I remember playing Trivial Pursuit with my parents as a kid. So many good memories!

Valerie in NJ

Emily said...

Our whole family's favorite game is Bubble Talk. It's like Apples to Apples, but with hilarious photos that you choose caption cards for. We love it.
We also love Skip-Bo, Exploding Kittens, and Life. I have always loved Scattergories and Clue.

Kathy Cassel said...

Megan-- I haven't played either pictionary or mexican train! I will have to check them out. I can't draw worth poo.

Emily--Bubble talk sounds like one our kids would like.

Anon--do you play original Clue or the new version with rumor cards and such?

Kathy Cassel said...

Ken--you should still be playing chess!