Sunday, October 21, 2018

More on Hurricane Michael

I didn't get back to posting as soon as I wanted to.

The hurricane hit Wednesday. We lost all power, water etc. First thing I did Thursday was go check on my shop. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to our house.

This was my first sight of the flea market.


Needless to say, we were all heartbroken. The outer shops had walls ripped off, and some were buried under piles of concrete blocks. For me, my wreaths hanging in the hall were splattered with mud. When I closed Sunday, we were only expecting a tropical storm, so I didn't close up as tightly as I would have had I known it would develop into a Category five hurricane that would hit us head on. I would have put the wreaths in plastic bags in my shop. I had a lot of water on the floor in the shop, so anything on the floor was soaked. New in box toys are no longer new in box. My funko pops were knocked off the shelf into water, so about 30 funkos lost their boxes.

When we did go to the house, we had to walk a block,climbing over trees and downed lines.

Our house has damage to the roof, so the ceilings are wet. The siding is ripped off. And it was blazing hot. 

Heat combined with no electricity or water does not make for happy people. LOL. It's hard when it gets dark at 6 p.m. and there's nothing to do.

Here's what we look like right now.





On Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I worked at packing up my shop, and Rick drove the loads home and unloaded them in our house. We were so hot, plus almost out of gas and clean clothes, so Tyler, Jasmine and I headed out and drove over an hour to do laundry and farther for electricity. Then Monday we were back at the shop packing up. Tuesday noon I couldn't take it anymore. It was over 90F in both the house and shop. I decided it was time to take off and go see a friend. 

Rick had to stay behind and try to find out about his job.

I had all four kids packed, but Kaleb decided to have a probation violation and was not allowed to come.

So the house is full of boxes. Rick and Kaleb are working hard on closing the shop, and we are feeding not only our own dogs, who can't run in the yard anymore because the fence is down, and our cat, but also four abandoned cats -- a mom and three kittens about 2-3 months old.

And now I am in an amazing place. Anyone guess who I am staying with?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know were you are staying because I read her blog also and saw it already. (So nice she has been able to open her home to you and your family). I just don't comment there because I hate using G account. I am so sorry about your store and your home. I watched part of the storm on Good Morning America, was horrible. Praying for all of you. I hope your husband is still able to work at his job.

God bless

Erika